Thursday, October 11, 2012

Latin! Y U No Make Sense?

Today is quite auspicious, because today is October 11, 2012. Dates are always important to students who constantly have to write them down on assignments, tests, and the like. So you're going to notice when something numerically fabulous is happening in the calendar. Today is 10/11/12. It gave all of us a tingle of joy when we marked the date on our papers, and there was always someone who cried aloud, "Hey, it's 10/11/12!" No big deal or anything, right? I know that sounds awfully exciting (note my sarcasm), but it really is.

First test on Vergil's Aeneid was this week. It's so sad that my life is controlled by a guy who has been dead for somewhere around two thousand years, but it's true. I can always count on having Latin homework, and I have to complete it in half the time I have to do homework for my other classes. But  I discovered a new studying method for Latin tests. Normally, I look over the correct translations and grammar notes to fix them in my brain like an ancient tumor, but I had the inspiration to make a recording of me reading the correct translation. I turned this recording into an audiobook, which I listened to on loop all that night and all the morning of the test. I have no idea what grade I got, but I did well... at least I hope so.


This section of Book IV of the Aeneid involves a very lengthy speech given by Jupiter to Mercury to take to Aeneas, ordering him to stop lingering with his lovely lady, Dido, in Carthage. He was giving numerous arguments to Mercury to make Aeneas go fulfill his destiny and found the Roman Empire. Suddenly, it hit me. What he really was saying was "Y U No Leave Carthage?" I couldn't resist turning it into a legit meme (I took a well-deserved break from my studying) and soon this followed:


Apparently Vergil wanted his manuscripts for the Aeneid burned after his death, but Augustus published them anyway (Duh, they were written to show how he was related to Venus and therefore awesome. He'd be throwing away high-class PR material). I am sure Vergil would be turning in his grave if I turned what he considered his imperfect work from its dactylic hexameter into an even cruder form of language. Although I'm sure he would be even more incensed with my awful translations that make no sense whatsoever. I'm going to pull an Augustus on this one and continue to do it anyway. It just proves that his ancient words are just as applicable and relevant in today's society and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment