Monday, October 1, 2012

Brain Boogie

Today was the first time I get to mess around with Play-Dough in quite a few years (totally unrelated, but when I was little I thought it was spelled Plato, like the philosopher). We made play-dough neurons in Psychology today. You can not imagine my glee when I opened a package of lavender play-dough and began to roll it between my fingers. Of course my neuron was hideous, but everyone else's were gorgeous.

My atrocious sculpture.
Here they are joined and passing "messages" in their synapses. 
That's not even the best part. There's a dance to remember the parts of the neuron. Yes, I am serious. The only problem is that I think it might be inappropriate to stand up in the middle of my exam and start dancing if I get a question on the structure of neurons.


It doesn't end there. We went out and did a little experiment where we stood and squeezed each other's shoulders and timed how long it took us to get around the circle. Then we kneeled and squeezed each other's ankles and timed that. Obviously it took longer with the ankles, but apparently we were pathetically slow and actually worsened over time. The teacher said he didn't want our AP scores to look like that, but I'd take a 6 on my exam any day (The highest you can score is a 5).



If only we got to use play-dough in all of our classes and math involved interpretive dance. I'm positive that getting my IB Diploma wouldn't be nearly as painful as it is now...

No comments:

Post a Comment