Tuesday, September 25, 2012

IB Stressed

It was apparent that some event was about to happen at the school. Authoritative adults looked rather frazzled as some set up tables with cheap, plastic table clothes, and simple, fake and rather forlorn looking flowers on them. The only thing worthy of attention was the basket of candy sitting on the table in a most tempting manner, practically gleaming with promise. I walked by the tables one time on my way to a gathering for National Honors Society. I made note of the sugary forbidden fruits, unable to strategize how to lay hands on them without being late to the mandatory meeting. I once again passed by the tables on the way out of the meeting, and made no move for them. I doubted I could get away with it, considering the adults crowding around the tables. It was on the third pass that I steeled myself to do what must be done. I figured that if I looked like I knew exactly what I was doing, no one would look at me twice. Casually, I moseyed on up to the table, cutting several adults in line. I made my stealthy way over to the end of the table that held the sugary delights. My pulse quickened as I came closer to my prize. Constantly on the alert for a stern remark, I was poised to defend myself with a polite, contrite, and above all braces-perfected smile. Calmly, as if this was part of my normal routine, I carefully selected a Kit Kat from the pile, and pranced off under the noses of teachers and PTA looking people alike. It is astonishing how easily many adults disregard teenagers, even when they're stealing chocolate before their very eyes. Once out the door I gave a little whoop and skipped over to a friend who had doubted my ninja skills. It was a sunny afternoon, my homework wasn't too arduous, and I was about to enjoy pure deliciousness. 

Things like this happen every so often. It's little victories like this that make hard days possible. This was my little victory today. I hope you have plenty of them, as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment