Monday, November 19, 2012

IB Hogwarts

There are three very good reasons that the International Baccalaureate program is comparable to a Hogwarts education:

1. There are First Years and Second Years
2. Color is spelled Colour
3. The teachers expect us to do magic

1. I am a First Year. I found this incredibly amusing the first time anyone referred to my group as thus. I felt like I had somehow become a Hogwarts student.

2. All the words in my textbooks have the British spelling. "Colour" and "Analyse" and the like. That's because all our textbooks are written in England, because our books are International. I'm sure the textbooks at Hogwarts are spelling with an extra "U" in some words. Well, not extra for them. From their perspective, American textbooks lack a "U" in some words.

3. The teachers expect us to do magic. Really, I watch my math teacher working a problem and one moment she doesn't know the 50th term in an infinite series and the next, she has the answer. It's like she's waved a wand and Poof! It's 542. And they expect us to be able to have multiple tests in the same week, and CAS, and piles of homework, and have a life. They expect us to become world citizens and well-rounded individual at the same time. Also, I am in desperate need of a Time-Turner. I would take a leaf out of my heroine's book and use one, but I don't know what IB's policy is, and if I'm going to translate the Aeneid at 7 a.m. for this diploma, I'm not going to take any chances.


No comments:

Post a Comment