Saturday, November 10, 2012

Bro With the Flow


So we began The Great Gatsby in English a little while ago. I finished it ahead of time, because as soon as I opened it, I couldn't put it down. It was beautiful literature in a way I had never before experienced, and the way the story and characters are grounded in reality makes the story all the more intriguing.

Anywho, we were discussing the cultural and social themes in the book, and the relationship between characters of the same gender. This is how the "Bro Code" came about:


The Bro Code is the unspoken rules that the men follow in The Great Gatsby.

1. No one tells Daisy about Tom's mistress even though he flaunts her in public (she does know, but that's not the point).

2. Class stratifications are adhered to strictly.

3. The men control the wealth and resources.

4. The men just go with it, and try not to speculate on bad things that disturb their lives of meaningless pleasure.

5. The men treat the women as their objects and less than men. Personally I thought bros before hoes would be better, but we had to keep it school appropriate (Pssh. School appropriate is overrated).

Meanwhile, in present day English class:

I believe this is a "Bro with the Flow" appropriate situation.

Obviously we're being incredibly productive students.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read The Great Gatsby, but I'm certain A Tale of Two Cities is better. I assume you had to read it in freshman english?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Great Gatsby is a wonderful work of literature, and I couldn't possible decide which one is better, because I love them both to death.

      Delete
  2. I suppose I should read it, then.

    While on the subject of recommending books, may I recommend Little Brother? The book itself is kind of like a little brother to 1984, except in present-day U.S. You might be interested.

    http://craphound.com/littlebrother/Cory_Doctorrow_-_Little_Brother.pdf

    (That's not pirated, it's free on the author's website. And fair warning, the text goes in columns. Ugh.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that and it's one of my favorite books.

      Delete
    2. Then are you aware that the sequel, Homeland, came out last week?

      Delete