Monday, February 4, 2013

The Guide to Acceptable Situations to Swear for the IB Student.

In general, I'm against the casual use of profanity. To put it in my venerable mother's words, "it is a sign of a weak vocabulary." But there are some instances of profanity I do condone. I bring to you The Guide to Acceptable Situations to Swear for the IB Student.

Today I learned I got a 97% on my most recent Math test. And just when I was seriously wondering if Math Studies might be a less suicidal route. I saw the 62/64 on the test, and inside I was like



Totally killing a test is completely worthy of a good curse. Let your feeling out!

We play Jeopardy review games in history, and I was my team's choice for Final Jeopardy. The teacher read out the question, and everyone stood there stunned. Everyone but me. I quickly scribbled down the answer, gave it to the teacher, who gave me a small nod of approval when he read my answer. I did a little dance as I went to sit back down in my seat. When he read out the answer (Treaty of Greenville) it took all my self-restraint to not say, "Damn straight it's the Treaty of Greenville!" Why shouldn't I luxuriate in a little swearing, I just won my team 5 extra credit points on the unit test.

Then there are the ridiculous questions on tests where you just have to widen your eyes and throw up your hands in defeat. I think of these questions as "What the hell?" questions, because that is the first thought in my head when I see them. Completely acceptable.


Not that high schoolers need an excuse to swear, but at least these are appropriate instances for inappropriate language.

No comments:

Post a Comment