Tuesday, August 28, 2012

IB Inception

As I said, the whole point of IB is global learning. Obviously, there are going to be regional and cultural biases that would skew how we absorb information. So IB has a little thing called Theory of Knowledge. Basically, it explores what we know and believe, and why we know it and believe it. Although I have only had two actual TOK classes, they both have impressed this on me more than anything else: TRUST NOTHING! TOK is like a devious existentialist mind trap. As soon as I walk in the door, I revert to a baseline of questioning everything. It all started when the teacher asked us to name one thing we knew with absolute certainty. Instantly I went from, "La-ti-da. So this is TOK?" to "Do I even exist?" Since then, I treat every question posed in the class like a birthday cake that could have a grenade concealed in its depths. It may seem full of promise, but it could be a trick. After assessing the frail stability of reality in TOK, I have decided that I need to acquire a totem of the Inception variety. Only this will indicate whether what I'm experiencing is real or not. If I used a top like Leonardo DiCaprio, I could see if it stopped spinning after class to tell whether or not I'm back in reality.


Today we discussed what happiness is and why we feel it. Naturally, I was reminded of one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies of all time:


This also flashed through my mind when the concept of truth was brought up:


Art really does reflect life. At least how IB sees life.

No comments:

Post a Comment